Want to feel energized, confident and happy? Free weekly tips to help you feel great again!

6 Comments

1. Viny
    August 24, 2015 @ 2:34 pm

Excellent post, very informative. I agree that what we eat plays a major role in our body’s chemistry and hormone balance. I also believe that emotional health and stress play a major role in our physical body chemistry. Although this is not always obvious.

• miznutrigal
      August 24, 2015 @ 3:52 pm

Thank you Viny. You’ve hit the nail on the head regarding your comment about stress. Stress is so elusive in our society we often don’t even realize the impact on health. I spend a lot of my time asking clients about their thoughts and how they lead to relentless stress. It’s a huge topic that we as practitioners need to address. Thank you for your comment. In health, Kelly

• Viny
        August 24, 2015 @ 3:58 pm

I get the feeling your a health coach.

I really feel that everything in this physical reality begins on an emotional /mental /spiritual level. I’m sure you’ve seen how clients improve so dramatically when they just have someone like you to talk to.

• miznutrigal
          August 24, 2015 @ 4:26 pm

Absolutely, tho my designation is Registered Dietitian I believe you cannot address the physical without addressing the emotional/mental/spiritual. I consider myself a coach through and through. Thank you again for your thoughtful comments. It sounds like you are on the same path. Kelly

2. Big Chief
    January 16, 2016 @ 1:18 pm

I think it is important for people to know about leptin and leptin sensitivity. However, I worry your title and focus in this piece could lead some to think of leptin as a “magic bullet” in the obesity chain. Yet we know from animal experiments (as well as observational work in humans) that hunger, satiation, fat deposition, etc., is a complicated interaction involving leptin, ghrelin, insulin, and likely many other peptides, hormones, etc. Again, I applaud you for informing folks about the role leptin plays in all of this, but leptin is one of many “stars” in a huge show, and they all interact together such that I think it is risky to talk about what one does while ignoring the others. Hope this doesn’t come across as too grumpy – Your piece is thought provoking!

• miznutrigal
      January 17, 2016 @ 11:07 am

Hi Big Chief. Thank you for your comment. I realize that no hormone works in isolation to others, in fact I often compare these interactions to the complexity of a Rubix cube. Perhaps I could have prefaced the article with this fact. However, if you’ve been reading my blog for some time you would see that this article was just one in a series that focus on the hormonal connection to weight loss. My e-book covers the big five: Insulin, Cortisol,Leptin, Ghrelin and Estrogen. I’m glad you enjoyed the article and no, you’re not grumpy, just bringing up a valid point. 🙂