Is there a way to keep your hormones in balance without the use of bio-identical hormones? Well, there are some foods that have been shown to have positive hormonal effects on women’s health. Of course, what you eat is only part of what you need to think about when it comes to hormone balance; cortisol and thyroid hormone also play a large role in hormone balance. For more information about cortisol and thyroid hormone please check out the Nutrigal YouTube Channel.
Nutrigal’s Top 7 Sexy Foods for Hormone Balance
1. Broccoli: Yep, broccoli is my absolute favourite food for hormone balance. Broccoli is like a secret weapon against the estrogen imbalance that a lot of women are facing especially in their pause years. Broccoli contains indoles which are known for their ability to deactivate certain types of estrogen linked to cancer. If you don’t like broccoli then reach for cabbage, cauliflower or Brussel sprouts. With low-carb eating so popular there are tons of great recipes using any of these estrogen lowering foods.
2. Beets: Beets are rich in a micronutrient called betaine. In short Betain provides helps to help convert our bad estrogens to harmless estrogens allowing them to be removed from the body. This is very important because many of us have too much circulating estrogen from environmental estrogens, fat cells, the birth control pill, or HRT.
Beet Juice Recipe
3 Stalks of Celery
Juice from ½ lemon
3. Cocoa: It is understandable that people claim chocolate is better than sex while I’m sure it’s up for debate. Chocolate contains properties that make us feel really good and it’s also really good for us. Angela Wintle in the Daily Mail writes, “Raw Cocoa contains nearly four times the antioxidant content of regular processed dark chocolate, 20 times more than blueberries, and 119 times more than bananas.” Cocoa contains the mood improver, anandamide – known as the bliss molecule, which creates a feeling of euphoria. It also increases serotonin, our happy chemical, which when normalized low can lower carbohydrate cravings. Is it any wonder we crave chocolate during PMS and the pause years? Instead of a chocolate bar try this smoothie recipe.
Cocoa & Berry Power Smoothie
2 tablespoons raw Cocoa nibs
2 inch piece of ripe banana
1 tablespoon goji berries
½ cup of frozen or raw raspberries
1 cup coconut milk or nut milk
Protein powder and ice as needed
4. Coconut oil: Containing a saturated fat called lauric acid, which has been shown to increase the good HDL cholesterol. Coconut oil has also been shown to play a part in making progesterone. Progesterone is our big estrogen balancer; it helps us sleep and is known to help prevent some hormone-related cancers. See my hormone video for more information.
5. Ground Flax: there is some controversy about flax seed and its effect on hormones. Recent studies suggest that dietary ground flax seed has a modest effect in lowering over all circulating sex hormones. A number of studies have shown that flaxseed ligans are anti-cancer agents because of their ability to block the action of too much estrogen and eliminate excess cancer-causing estrogen metabolites produced in the body.
6. Pomegranate: Pomegranate seeds possess ant-inflammatory properties. Pomegranate is a good phyto-estrogen that blocks the activity of a specific enzyme called aromatase. This inhibition prevents the conversion of androgens to estrogen. Women with estrogen dominant conditions can benefit from the addition of pomegranate to their diet.
7. Borage Oil: is technically not a food but a wonderful oil that contains the fatty acid GLA. Women and the elderly are particularly low in GLA. Supplementation with GLA has been found to reduce symptoms of menopause including night sweats, breast pain, inflammation, depression, irritability, and skin wrinkling.
And there they are, seven sexy suggestions for hormone health. If you are struggling with persistent weight gain, insomnia, irritability or ongoing fatigue it’s possible that your hormones need some help. Please download my ebook, 5 Major Hormone Fixes for Successful Weight Loss here.