Do you feel like you’re actually addicted to carbs? I hear this from many of my clients and I try to talk them off the ledge. There are many things that can help you if you feel like you just can’t stop eating sugar or carbs.
If you’ve been battling with your weight, I want to help you pinpoint WHY that may be happening, so you can stop struggling and finally release those excess pounds.I want to help you pinpoint WHY that may be happening, so you can finally release that unwanted weight.
Before I dig into this, here’s a quiz for you…
Quiz: Are You a Sugar & Carb Addict?
If you’re like most of my clients, you’re struggling to lose weight, but you don’t know whether or not you have a problem with sugar & carbs specifically. This short quiz will help you start to figure this out. Read the following questions and answer yes/no for each one.
- You crave sweets or carbs (such as chips, crackers, bread, pasta) every day, but think it’s just “how you’re wired.”
- Do you reach for a sugar-laden coffee drink, muffin, bagel, donut, or sugary cereal to kick start your morning?
- You get through most of the day eating healthy, but you can’t seem to resist eating a sugar-laden coffee drink, soda, candy, other sweets or carbs mid-afternoon.
- After a long exhausting day, you typically use sweets or carbs to wind down at night?
- Do you often eat more sugar than you plan to? Do you find that it’s difficult to stop after eating a small portion?
- Do you find it next to impossible to abstain from sweets and carbs when they’re in front of you?
- Do you often feel like you’re not in control of what you’re eating – almost as if there’s another force inside you that’s taking charge and derailing your plans?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, then there’s a good chance sugar is impacting your energy levels and your weight. While you may not be happy to know this, the good news is that there’s an easier fix than you realize.
You’re Not Alone
Answering yes to any of the above questions can feel a bit irritating and feel like you can’t get over this hurdle but you are far from alone. Almost every client I work with struggles with sugar & carbs. To add insult to injury their hormones go absolutely haywire in the presence of blood sugar highs and lows. My clients try to eat well but end up eating foods that cause fatigue and even more weight gain. When you’re that tired it seems impossible to make healthy decisions
Once you learn the direct correlation between sugar and your metabolism, and discover exactly why it makes weight loss so difficult, you’ll feel more empowered and able to take back control of your diet.
How Sugar & Carbs Prevent You From Losing Weight
Sugar wreaks havoc with your metabolism. By eating sugar, you force your body to hold onto excess weight. When you consume sugar, your body attempts to remove it from your bloodstream as quickly as possible. It first tries to use it as energy, but it often can’t, so it turns to Plan B: fat storage. Fat is your body’s way of hanging onto calories when it can’t use them right away, and while this was a useful mechanism back in hunter-gatherer days when famine was frequent, now it’s a nuisance at best!
When you eat sugar, your best-case scenario is that you use it right away and aren’t burning the fat your body is already holding onto. Worst case? You’re just adding to those energy stores, for “later”. In other words, you’re gaining weight.
Good News: Willpower is NOT the Solution
Now you may be thinking that the answer is that you simply need to be “tougher” and have more willpower, and simply refrain from reaching for sugar or carbs.
But here’s the thing. Your stress hormone puts the breaks the part your brain responsible for willpower. Also, science shows us that willpower diminishes with each decision you make during the day. Suffice to say NOBODY can rely on willpower especially when it comes to sugar cravings. Willpower is not the long-term solution you’re looking for.
Sure, if you’re determined, you can set your mind to removing certain foods from your diet. But if you don’t understand the underlining reasons WHY you’re experiencing cravings (and address them), they’re sneaky and they’ll creep back in…and next thing you’ll know, you’ll be exhausted again in the middle of the day.
This is the main reason why most quick-fix diets don’t work long-term.
When my clients discover this, it is a HUGE relief. They no longer beat themselves up for being “weak” and unable to get through the afternoon without turning to sweets.
The solution is to pinpoint what’s causing your cravings. There are a few main culprits and once you know what they are, you can eliminate your cravings so sugar and carbs no longer have a hold on you.
I’ve been sharing my strategies to kick these cravings with clients for over 10 years. and they can’t believe how much easier it’s been for them to start having consistent, stable, high energy throughout the day.
If you’re ready I’d like to share with you some strategies I teach my clients. None of these require willpower however, they do require some skill-power.
Les strategically look at how you can begin to cut your sugar cravings way down.
- Cut back on the amount you add to things you eat or drink regularly (like coffee or tea, cereal or pancakes). Start by using half of what you normally do; it should get easier and easier to adjust to the new taste. This is where a careful strategy can have big payoffs.
- Use Legumes beans, peas or lentils – Add 1/2 cup of legumes to your dinner or lunch instead of a grain based carbohydrate. It will keep your sugars stable for a much longer period of time – 3 hours or so – preventing the crashes one hour later.
- Check your stress at the door – easier said then done but adding meditation or yoga to your weekly schedule can help. Stress hormone causes so many imbalances to your hormone profile and is known to decrease serotonin levels causing sugar cravings.
- Support your hormone balance & Learn How to Bulk Cook. Eating to support your hormones means being prepared and learning about your body. This is just one of the easy strategies that I teach my Body Beautiful Program clients. This takes a little more time to learn but when you get it you have the key to hormone balance, weight loss and a huge surge in energy.
- Learn strategically how to increase your protein. Most women I see don’t eat enough protein to help facilitate long term weight loss. In fact studies show that test subjects who ate 30% of their calories from protein ended up eating an average of 400 fewer calories per day then when they ate only 15% of their calories from protein. That is a HUGE deal.
Making the Shredded Chicken recipe below is the easiest way to prepare a large amount of protein in less than 5 minutes. You can use the chicken in wraps, mason jar salads or any recipe that calls for chopped or shredded chicken. I just made this and I can’t believe how good and moist it actually tastes. You’re gonna love it.
Shredded Chicken - For very quick recipes during the week.
4 medium chicken breasts
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
4 cups water or chicken broth
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup garlic flavoured olive oil - organic - extra virgin
Put chicken in slow cooker and season with salt, pepper and dried onion flakes.
Pour water or broth over chicken. Make sure that there is at least 1 inch of water over the chicken.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
Take chicken out of the slow cooker, transfer to a bowl and shred.
Mix in garlic flavoured olive oil.
Adapted from Tammy Kresge - Yourself Skinny.
If you’ve been feeling chronically tired, drained, and exhausted…while having nagging cravings for sugar and carbs…then it might be time to get some support. Can you imagine being able to prepare all your meals in advance? Can you imagine how it would feel to be energized all day long and even have the energy to go out in the evening again? Can you imagine being 10 -15 pounds lighter by the summer?
I’d love for you to get the results that you’ve been wanting forever but just couldn’t move past your cravings. In my NEW 8 Week VIRTUAL Body Beautiful LITE Program I will teach you how to painlessly prepare meals in advance, choose the right supplements and work with your body to balance your hormones and lose that stubborn weight.
No more being run by sugar cravings. No more sleeping at your desk wishing you had the energy to make a change. No more relying on willpower. You don’t have to wait on the sidelines watching other women making big things happen while you remain in the same place. You’re done with that. Lets kick it off with 8 weeks of motivation, coaching and sisterhood starting May 16th.
It starts May 16th and runs until July 11th. You can check it out here.
The program is designed to make weight loss so easy for you.
If you have any questions you can set up a quick 15 minute call or email me. p. 416-258-3596 e. email@example.com.
Hope to see you there!